Question

YoungMistakes

How do I handle a collector that is increasing the amount I owe?
I owed money for a credit card I missed payments on. The debt collector sent me a letter offering a smaller settlement if I agreed to pay the monthly charge until paid off. I paid on time for two months which paid off about 25% of the debt. Two months later I realized they hadn't taken out the 3rd and 4th payments from my account. According to the debt collector the transaction was interrupted and this nullifies our agreement. Now they want me to pay over $200 more than the original agreed upon amount. This not only means my first two payments counted for nothing, but they are also asking for a higher payment each month to pay off the "new balance." How should I handle this? Some suggested waiting until the debt collector offers a new balance that is lower. I really don't want to have to pay more than they already offered me and lose out on the $150 I already paid them.

Ask for verification

Ask them to send you verification by letter on why/how the transaction was interrupted... of course if you know why then my advice is pointless.