Question

Tj840

How do I determine which chapter to file

Most Helpful Response

By consulting with a bankruptcy attorney. Most give free consultations.

Google actually; there's restrictions on a CH7 (income, etc) whereas a CH13 is more general and is effectively a court-ordered payment plan forced on the lenders to something you can afford rather than airstriking the debts.

I'm not qualified to give professional advice but I looked into it once, and it's very very standardized: there's a worksheet and everything and I'd look at both the restrictions and do the worksheet before I went and paid a lawyer anything.  Nolo had some good resources too when I looked at it 4 years ago, but at any rate do a bit of research before talking to a lawyer for a bunch of good reasons.