Question

miflame

How do I consolidate all student loans into one to pay back when I can?

Most Helpful Response

Go to www.fedloan. I just consalidated all of my many loans into one monthly payment owed to the Department of Education.  They pay off your loans to all the different lenders and then you pay the DOE one monthly payment.  The process was quick and fairly easy.  I even qualified for a "pay as you earn" option.  Right now my monthly minimum payment is $0, but I still pay at least $100/mo.  You will have to requalify yearly for such a program, but it's worth the minimum hassle.  The above answer also has a lot of good suggestions. Speak to the financial aid office, and definitely consider deferrment and forbearance options to help alleviate some of the pressure.

Consult with financial aid office.

The financial aid office will have the contact information if you don't already have it.  Depending on your situation, you may be able to get a forebearance or a deferment, both of which will delay payment.  But it will not be a "when I can" situation unless the income is too low right now.  You certainly want to get student loans paid off as quickly as possible because they do not go away until they are paid. 

I second knk103's response. Be careful of private refinancing offers for federal loans: you lose a lot of the flexibility in repayment and forbarence offered with government loans.