Question

Rock29gu

how do i build my credit after i have payed my debt?
I first opened my first credit card in 2006 and a second one in 2010.I made several late payments on both accounts throughout the years. I Payed one credit card off and thought I had paid the other one off last year but i received a call from a collection agency today. Around the time I thought i payed the card off i also moved so i dint call the company to notified them because in my mind it was payed off.So when i got the call today i panicked and payed the amount owed . The collection agency had just received my account five days ago. Based on what i have read on here should i have asked them to remove it from my credit record or if they could not report it? I also want advice on how to build my credit at this point. I don't have any debt but i also don't have credit cards open . I would really want to buy a car and a home in the near future. I have seen several people mention a secure credit card , should i open one to build my credit. Please help

Most Helpful Response

The best thing you can do is to take advantage of the learning opportunity presented on this site.  The purpose of Credit Karma is to teach people how credit works and what must be done to build a good credit score so they can benefit from having good credit.  Without learning these things, there is no way you will ever get to  uy a house, or get decent rates on car or other loans.  I speak from experience because I had lousy credit for a long time but, thanks to what I learned from the articles here and playing with the financial tools, I was able to buy a new car last year at a very low interest rate and I have several active credit card accounts, and I'm not deep in debt, either. Please make the time to learn here because this knowledge can make life so much easier.