Question

SeanEnglish31

How can I open a new card without a big dent in my score?
As a young adult who's led a pretty fortunate life so far, I've gotten to my early 20s without any huge debt or credit disasters. The thing is, the biggest black marks on my credit report are average age and # of credit inquiries. The issue is, areas that I can improve on (like credit limit, number of accounts, etc) require making these problem areas even worse. What should I do?

You have to understand that you have to pay a  little (lower score due to hard inquiries) to gain a  profit (increased credit score over time). Hard inquiries are what happens when you apply for credit. They hurt for a little bit and then they stop mattering a lot after 1 yr, and not at all in 2 yrs. So you want to keep them at 2 or less per year (note auto loans or mortgage ones in the same 30 day period coutn as one hard inquiry for eahc type, multiple credit card inquires in that time period DO NOT count as one inquiry). So get some credit, use it prudently ~10% utlzation per month, and pay it all in full every month. in six months ask for them to increase yoru credit limits, add some more credit. Rinse and repeat. At some point when you have tablished some good credit and a few years of good history get an isntallment loan -- personal loan or a car loan. Pay it in full. Never be late on anything from rent to utlities to credit cards.