Question

crissiehawthorne

How can I improve my credit score?
I have 7 accounts in collections, all of them of medical. There is this one bill that was split into four different collection accounts from the same agency. It was from my son's doctor back in 2011 right after he was born. I refused to pay the bill because my son was on Medicaid so I was just so sure that Medicaid would take care of it. I'm confused as to how they can split up on bill like that when I only received one bill from the doctor. Anyhow, I'm trying to clean my credit up so that I can purchase a house in the near future. What can I do to help my situation?

Collection Accounts

These type accounts stay on your credit report for 10 years.  If it were me, I would contact the original debtor to see if some sort of agreement could be worked out.  Most companies just want to get paid and will work with you if you show a willingness to work with them.  In return there may be something the company can do to have the collections removed from your credit report.

Medical bills can get out of hand quick. As Roman said, contact the hospital's billing department and talk with them to get everything sorted out. They should be able to fix the collectors as well.