Question

jlr73

How can I get stuff off my credit report?
I want to know how to get the things in collection off my credit report, how do I pay on them ?

Most Helpful Response

The first step is pulling your actual credit report to see what you have and with whom (Sometimes it takes googling the name/acronym to find out who they are).These accounts should fall off within 7 years of the last payment made, so you should first make sure the accounts you're going to pay are still within the statute of limitations or are not close to the end of the 7 years. If you're close to 7 years then you just let them go and they'll fall off on their own. For more recent past due accounts-start with the most recent. Contact the creditor in writing (send certified mail) and request a debt verification letter. Google a template for this. If the creditor confirms that the debt is yours then call them and ask them how much $ they'll take today to settle. If the amount is high then say, "I'm sorry I can't afford that right now, can we put together a payment plan?" If they come back to say "how much can you pay today," give them a number, but lowball them. A lot of times they'll conveniently say they can settle for that specific amount, but if your can do it for less, then do so. Whether you settle for $25 on $100 of $75 on $100, the notation on your report will be the same so try and settle for the least amount possible. If you go with the payment plan then get the plan in writing with a promise to charge off the debt on your report. Then make sure you pay as agreed upon every month. Do not be late with even one payment.

Good luck!

In addition, if the creditor does not respond you your debt verification request then you can petition the CRB to remove it from your report.

Lifesaver3

How do you petition the CRB to remove items off your credit report? I have debt on mine and called the loan company and they had no clue what I was talking about and said they cant take it off my credit report?