Question

wkinglewis

How can I get old late payments removed from my credit history?
A few years ago when I was in school and broke and incompetent I had some bills get into the 30 day late column and maybe one or two crept into the 60 day late column can I get those taken off? Should I call the lender? Most of them are still open accounts could I offer to pay extra for it to be removed? Suggestions please.

Can't change history.

Late payments are part of past history, and can't be changed under Fair Credit Reporting Act.  If the accounts are still open and your current history is regular payments as agreed, that will go a long way in improving your credit history until the late payments drop off, which they will do over time.  Keep making the regular payments and pay off the accounts as quickly as possible. We can't undo or erase mistakes we've made, unfortunately.  

Most Helpful Response

Agree with the previous poster. My situation was just like yours, got late payments while in college, and it is currently the only thing on my credit that is bad. I was advised to send them a goodwill letter (google it for examples), and I did, but of course both lenders sent me a correspondence that said since they are true and accurate reportings they will not remove them, that is despite having paid off the car loan in full over at over a year and a half ago (after making the next 3 years on time), and my other account has been paid flawless for 4 years since, but still no go. They drop off after 7 years, so we just have to count down. Despite them I still got my credit to cross the 750 mark, so target the areas you can control.