Question

Maestro37

How can I get a collection agency to remove item from credit report after it's been paid in full?
I paid an old debt from an apartment I rented 3 yrs ago. It keeps coming up on my credit report and is stopping me from renting a new place. I called the agency and am told that there is nothing they can do. I want to dispute this but I need this fixed quickly so that I can rent. Any advice?

Most Helpful Response

Debt Validation

I would send them a Debt Validation letter. Even though you've already paid, they are still reporting it to your credit file. Anything that is being reported should be vailidated for accuracy. If they don't respond in 30 days or they cannot validate it, they have to take it off. 

Info stays on your report up to 10 yrs.

Your credit history  is just that.  Your history. That's what credit scores are based on. 

It is your financial reputation.