Question

dionnenichole

How can I fix a score that is poor??
I have a poor credit score and I really don't know how to fix this problem. I have less than 10,000 of bad credit and a school loan that will not be due until i finish, which is in October 2015. So I'm slowly trying to pay it back and improve my score. I tried taking out a card but because of my student loans I dont make enough to pay off both. Even though I dont need to pay off my student loan until later. I can't really do anything and I feel like I am at a standstill until I either get a better job or come into some money. So my question is what do I do at this point? Also I live from paycheck to paycheck.

Patience, please.

That you are living paycheck to paycheck should cause you to rethink any idea of getting a credit card right now.  Why add potential debt when you are just scraping by now?  After you finish school or get a better job is a good time to start with a secured card.  But not right now, okay?

Get the bad credit cleared up as quickly as possible, since that may have a bad effect on the future.  Make sure it IS YOU debt by going to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  If there is anything you know is not yours or is somehow otherwise incorrect, file a dispute on each item with the credit bureau reporting same.  Also, pay attention to the dates items will be falling off the credit reports.  Knowing the statute of limitations for collection is a big help.