Question

DoorRay

How can I find the last payment date I made on a defaulted credit card?
I stopped paying on a credit card over 6 years ago but I don't have proof of the last time I made a payment on this account. It was so long ago! I just got served a law suit from the collection agency whom bought this debt and in the state of Texas they can not sue you after 4 years due to the statute of limitations law. It's been way more than that! Is there anywhere I can look to see when I stopped paying on this account after this long? It's not even on my credit report anymore.

Most Helpful Response

Glad to see you are knowedgeable about this stuff.  I can't think of any way to find your last date of payment other than going through you really old bank statements or asking the collection agency for that info.  If you've been served a summons and it is truly past the statute of limitations, then you should get this easily dismissed.  You do have the right to ask the collector when the statute of limitations to sue expires or has expired.  With all that being said, any time you are served a lawsuit summons, it is best to contact an attorney experienced with creditors and debt collectors.  That way you can be sure your rights are protected.  If this is just a letter threatening a lawsuit, then that's another kettle of fish.  You can go to www.consumerfinance.gov for issues regarding what collectors can and cannot do (and to file a complaint if necessary)  or www.credit.about.com to learn more about anything credit & collector related.  Just type in "lawsuit" in their search box.  Best of luck!