Question

Lauralv

How can I check to see if my husband has debt I may not be aware of?

Technically, you get a copy of his credit reports (if you have his SSN and know enough about him, this is very easy to do.) That said, maybe you should, you know, ask him? My wife and I keep separate bank accounts, but we have free access to each others' finances, and we know each others' credit reports. I travel on business a lot, and if anything happened to me, I *want* her to have full access to everything, if only so she doesn't get blindsided.
--

Tell you what - sit down with him, and tell him it is important that you both have that info handy, just in case something happens to one of you. Share your reports with him, he shares his with you. If he's recalcitrant about it, then your marriage has bigger problems than finances.

Marriage should involve mutual trust.   While I know how to set up a separate account, I am not going to reveal that information due to your apparent lack of trust.