Question

policebox

How are the "Total Payments" calculated for the Payment History section of the Credit Report Card?
After spending some considerable time trying to figure out how the number of "Total Payments" is added-up under the Payment History section of the Credit Report Card, I have yet to figure it out.

Here's my scenario. I have a copy of my TransUnion credit report dated 12/12/13. On the same day, Credit Karma updated and showed 389 payments made on-time out of 392 total payments.

I am trying to determine which accounts are being included in these totals. Here is the mixture of accounts on my report; can someone tell me if there are particular types of accounts that are included/excluded?

Student Loan - I'm a co-signer on account - Opened 02/2000 - Currently in repayment showing a payment history from 12/2006 to 10/2013, which makes a total of 90 payments reported, with 88 OK and 2 as 60-days late.

Student Loan - Primary borrower - Opened 09/2000 - Was in repayment then sold to another lender, so this trade line is closed - Shows a payment history from 08/2006 to 09/2010, which makes a total of 50 payments reported, with 46 OK, 3 as 30-days late, and 1 as 60-days late.

Student Loan - Primary borrower - Opened 06/2008 - Payment is currently deferred - Shows a payment history from 07/2008 to 10/2013, which makes a total of 64 payments, all OK.

Student Loan - Joint borrower - Opened 08/2006 - Currently in repayment showing a payment history from 02/2007 to 12/2013, which makes a total of 83 payments, with 46 OK and 37 Unknown.

There are also open revolving credit card accounts which report monthly; there are revolving credit card accounts which reported a history but are now closed; there are installment loans that are now closed which have reported a monthly history; there are installment loans that are now closed which do not report a payment history. So, I have quite a mix of accounts.

If I look at only my open accounts revolving and student loan accounts, but exclude the student loans in deferment, I get a total of 291 payments (far short of the 392 CK reports); if I include the entries that were "Not reported" for these, I have 419 payments. If I look at all my open accounts, revolving and student loan, including ones in deferment, I get a total of 593 payments (far in excess of the 392 CK reports); if I include the entries that were "Not reported" for these, I have 755 payments.

Going from the CK data of 392 total payments with 389 on-time, this would indicate that there is a total of 3 payments in the pool of data which were not on-time. However, when it comes to my currently open student loans that are in repayment, there are 4 late payments, not 3. If I include closed accounts, then the number becomes far larger than 3.

So basically, there has to be a simple answer to this question. Which accounts is Credit Karma using to calculate my number of total payments?