Question

Argh12345

Hi I was carrying a balance of one dollar but it counted as zero percent utilization
It was 1 dollar on a 2000 dollar limit I wanted to have a balance carried cause I've read this is better than having a 0% balance. But it was reported as 0% anyway. Should I carry 20 instead of 1 (to knock it to 1% usage?)

Most Helpful Response

Zero utilization is worse in the eyes of credit than a small amount because it does not tell them anything about the way you use the card.  $1 on a $2000 limit isn't enough to make the utilization above Zero.  You need to utilize at least 1%, which would be $20.  That does not mean you have to carry a balance on it and pay interest on it.  Keep track of the date that the balance is reported for a card, and you can judge best when exactly to make the payment each month (after the reporting date, but before your due date). 

How about NOT carrying a balance??

Does paying additional money whwen you don't have to make sense?  Not to me!! I pay my credit cards in full (except for one I'm currently working to pay off) every month.  Two cards have a zero balance and they're put away.  One is used for my Netflix account (and I did have satellite TV on it, until I cancelled that) and those balances were paid in full every month.  That way the cards showed low usage, but not 0% and I didn't pay interest because I paid the bills when they came due. That's the best way to handle credit card usage.