Question

tflex2

Help repairing my credit?
Hi CK,

I finally have enough money to start dealing with my credit repair journey but I feel kind of wary about it. Most of my credits are in collection agencies, and I made a mistake by paying in full some of the smaller debts before reading this forum. I have a couple more of big debt in collection agencies and I plan to send all of them validation letters first before I actually attack any of them. In the past couple of weeks I've spoken to a debt collector on the phone and I asked him about the pay for deletion, he became very aggressive saying things like "we do not discuss any credit reports" to the point he just became really nasty. I read here somewhere that reaching out to collection agencies actually poses some risk - that if I offer pay for deletion, it may indicate that I can pay for the debt and that might muster enough confidence to take me to court.

I also recently applied for a discover secured CC, while dealing with the collection agencies but I was denied. My only one hope to rebuild my credit down the drain.

I am kind of scared, and I really need your wisdom in how to approach this very carefully. All of your input and advices are greatly appreciated.
p.s. I am in NY if it helps any.

So my question is, is it better for me to be persistent in asking for pay for deletion or take the settlement and dispute it later?

Thanks CK

Being in NY will help you as paid collections only remain for five years instead of seven like the rest of the country. Yes, be persistent on the "pay for delete". Also read the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as sometimes, actually probably many times, debt collectors violate it and that would really help you. Check OpenSky for a Secured card.

So pay for deletion and ask for settlement?

Rumplestiltskin7

"that if I offer pay for deletion, it may indicate that I can pay for the debt and that might muster enough confidence to take me to court."

To answer this question, don't worry.  There are statue of limitations on debt.  These limiations vary state to state.  Talking to a collector, and asking about a pay for deletion, do not extend this statue of limitation.  Making a payment does, even if it's a dollar, so defiantly do not pay anybody, if you don't plan on handling it in full at some point.

Anywho, like said above, yes, Pay for Deletion.  I know you said you talked to some collectors and they were nasty, but keep in mind, most Collection Agenecies have unqualified represenatives taking mass phone calls to make the company money.  They know the basics of collecting, reading you "This communication is from a debt collector" or "This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be used for that purpose".  There are a few things they smack into people's heads before they let them take phone calls, to avoid a lawsuit.  IE: If you tell someone to stop calling you, or to cease and desist, and they continue to call you, it's in violation of  the FDCPA, and each additional phone call, regardless if they get a voicemail, is a $1,000 fine.   Any preditorial lawyer would take a case like that, it's easy money.  10 calls, 10 grand.  You need to make sure you identify as the account holder though.  So my advice, if you are getting phone calls from any of these agencies, tell them you want to do a Pay for Delete.  If they refuse, keep insisting, ask them why, rile them up, get them mad lol, they're people too.  Then tell them "If you're not going to delete this when I pay it, stop calling me" or "cease and desist", if they call you again, just ignore the calls, wait a few weeks, contact a lawyer, because then they're going to bend over backwards to make sure you don't file a lawsuit lol.

The easier route, just ask for a manager or supervisor.  Any collection agency I contacted, for myself, or for my family/friends were willing to delete for payment, but sometimes you just need to get the right person, because most of them are clueless.