Question

ZeusMeus

HELP - need to raise score but kind of lost...
7 years ago, I had two accounts that went into collections. I paid them off but they were categorized as charge offs/ closed. I was young and didn't think to research the best way to handle them. Anyways, they are set to fall off on 1/2014 but I am just wondering if there is any way to get them removed before then?
Also, I have 3 open accounts - 2 I don't use because i didn't even know they were still open - what should I do about them? Anything?
My final card - I use all the time. I pay it every month, never a late payment and I pay in full. Now I am focusing on my utilization amount so I don't go above 30% because I was doing that b/c I didn't realize it would have a negative affect...
Finally, I have a student loan 3300 left- always paid on time.
Credit Karma says my debt to income ratio is 6%
With all of that said, I have a score of 649. I feel this is horrible - any advice that anyone can give me on how to increase my score would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

Most Helpful Response

It's four months. Wait it out.

First, don't let your unused cards get cancelled for non use. Use them occasionally. Then, don't pay off everything to zero balances each month. A zero utilization is just as bad a 35% utilization. And finally, I do not think CK has income information unless you linked accounts or something. There is no income to your credit file.

The standard advice is:

• Pay all your bills on time.
  • Carry between 1% and not more than 20% balance of your total credit limits.
  • Do not cancel unused cards. Use them occasionally to prevent them from being cancelled by the creditor.
  • Do not apply for unnecessary credit.
  • Monitor your credit for fraud.

ZeusMeus

Ok, so just to be clear - it is ideal to pay the bill almost in full but carry 1-20% every month over? This will help me increase my score?

Thank you very much for your response; I do appreciate it.