Question

Annie1459

help me understand
okay, so here's my situation.
I have one credit account with fingerhut. that's going great! i just got a increased credit limit i pay my bill on time with more than the min. so things should be going fine.

I've attempted to apply for 4 different credit cards and were denied due to excessive amount of inquiries. that raised a flag.
so I checked it out. it says I have 20 credit inquiries for credit cards. 4 of them which i had applied. so 16 different credit inquires. in the course of 3 months.
It has drastically dropped my score to a 560.
14 points in the last week.

how do I report this?
I'm only 22, I am not about to start my life with someone else trying to be me and ruin my credit.

Most Helpful Response

Annie1459

Do what jwsister said.

I also have a question for you:  Basically my question is, where did you get the information that said you have over 20 inquiries?

Basically what I am getting at here is: are those all hard nquiries or are the bulk of them soft inquiries. 

If this came from CK, then I assume those are hard inquiries and it is my understanding that you needed to authroize them, (or at least the credit bureaus think you did).  That needs looking into.

You mentioned fingehut.  I have never had an acct with them, but have seen their name a lot on my credit reports as soft inquiries.  Since you said you are doing business with them, I cant help but wonder if you are on the spam list for a multitude of companies like them that are running soft inquires on you all the time.

Bottom line for me here is you need to find out if those are are hard or soft inquiries.  It is my understanding you only care about the hard inquiries.  If they are all hard inquiries and you didnt authrorize them, you need to plug that leak ASAP.

Pull your credit reports for free immediately and see.  It will tell you who inquiried.

Good Luck

Rich

Annie1459

i got the info from ck and it says hard inquiries.  so thanks i will pull credit reports and see whats up. 

Likely, it's an error, but good to check it out.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very thoroughly and file disputes on all WRONG information with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.  You really should consider doing this once a year so your credit report information will be current and correct.

Also, DO NOT carry your Social Security card in your wallet.  Keep it locked up at home so you can get it the few times in your life it will be needed.  That number is a gold mine for an identity thief.  Best to make their job as difficult as possible.