Question

CuriousStudent

First credit card at 21, how do I quickly develop good credit?
I feel like I waited way too late in my life to start credit. I'm 21 and will be 22 in a week. I should be receiving my first card ($500 limit) in about ten days. I was wondering what are good credit moves I should make to quickly build an excellent score. My parents gave good advice (they both are 800+) but I'm always willing to take in new knowledge. And possibly advice on what to do after I've established a credit score? Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

Work on getting 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan. Be sure to only apply for credit that you believe you have a good chance of being approved for. Maybe ask one of your parents to add you as an authorized user on one of their oldest cards to increase your average age of accounts (they do not have to give you a card, just add you as a user). Keep your utilization rates low, always pay bills on time. Continue to do research on how to build credit, 40 or 50 hours of reading can help you for a lifetime. That is pretty much how to get started. Keep reading and be responsible and with a little bit of time, you will be where you want to be.