Question

hcarlgolden

False Reports and Medical Questions
First Transunion is reporting that I am dead. How do I fix this? Also I have 20,000+ in medical reporting against my report. I thought medical was not supposed to count. Is that true? If so how do I fix this?

Most Helpful Response

Medical does count, although I have heard that some lenders disregard them when looking at your report (don't know which lenders do or don't).  Send TransUnion a letter stating you are not dead, provide them with a copy of your driver's license and a utility bill to prove who you are.  If the other bureaus think you are dead as well, then send them same letter.  You can also dispute your medical accounts at the same time.  Best of luck!

Call

I would call them and get the "dead" issue fixed right away. Medical bills do count, some lenders will not look at them when factoring your credit worthiness though. If a mortgage loan is in your future you need to get them taken care of. 

Although there are some loopholes to medical debts with a collection agency (I have been doing tons of research lately). I managed to get a few of mine deleted with ease that were in collections and I paid nothing! I sent a debt validation letter to the collection agency withing 3 days they informed me they had no choice but to delete it off my report. For a 3rd party debt collector to validate medical debt it is in a direct violation of HIPPA regulations!!!! So they could not comply with my validation and deleted the debt. Often times this will kick it back to the origional creditor that is still better than it being in collections as you can negotiate "pay for delete"  or "paid as agreed" with the OC. Even a paid Collection has a negative impact on your score, Check your states SOL on debt reporting. It varies by state as to how long prior to something dropping off. If you have many previouse addresses on your CR send a letter to all three bureaus requesting the old addresses be removed and only your current address reported. Send them a copy of your DL and a utility bill that show your current address. This often helps in disputing debts as well as catching items prior to them reaching collections. I have many collections I did not recieve dunning letters from as I moved a lot in the past. Never forget that debt collectors "purchase your debt" for pennies on the dollar and with medical debt you can often time negotiate to pay less than 50% of the origional balance! When communicating with creditors for payment for delete always get it in writing and never do it over the phone, you want a paper trail! This way if they do not delete in a timley manner (usually 45 days max) you can submit all your records of the agreement to the CB's for deletion! 

If you make a payment on a collection it starts the SOL over, Pay the newest debts first as the old ones will likely drop off within 4-7 years (depending on the state you live in). Always keep documentation! Medical debts like to double dip, if you have inscurance it is  a good idea to keep track of things that they have paid as well.