Question

vafan13

Experian: "Amount owed on revolving credit is too high" What??
Hello fine ladies and gentlemen,

I have a Capital One Platinum with $2K credit limit. I requested a credit increase as I'm getting pre-approved offers in the mail for higher than that. I was denied and in the credit score that accompanied it one of the 'Key factors that adversely affected
your credit score" was "Amount owed on revolving credit is too high". the others made sense (too little credit history, etc) but this one does not as I have purposely adjusted my autopay to always bring it down to 8-9% of my limit. Originally I was paying the entire balance each month (and sometimes twice a month when it was $500 limit) but was told that's a bad idea as it makes agencies think I'm not using the card.

Is it that they took a snapshot of my balance at the time of the credit limit request (aka before my autopay on the 25th) or am I doing something else wrong? I have many times my limit in cash so paying whatever isn't an issue, I just want to do it right.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. This is my first CC which I've had now for 13ish months and my score was 716, is that decent?