Question

RobGman

Ex wifes still on my credit report
I've been divorced going on 3 years... My credit report still includes my ex wife who has terrible credit, therfore giving me a bad report... and low credit scores.... Is there anything I can do to get her off my credit report

Most Helpful Response

She is still on the accounts

Contact any accounts that she is still on and have her removed from the account.  If the account was opened jointly you may need to close the account completely.  You can call the numbers for customer service for the accounts and explain the situation and if the account must be closed they may be able to reopen a new account in just your name. 

Closing accounts will lower your score even more for a while, but in the long run you will be better off. and its better to take the hit for a few months that to let her credit continue to drag you down.  

I let my ex stay on my accounts for nearly  5 years back when i was more naive. In hindsight I should have taken care of this the day the divorce was signed. I hadn't realized how badly she had ruined my credit until i went to buy a car.

Good Luck