Question

Posted in Taxes

Crzbutterfly86

Erroneous tax lien-admitted but will not remove
I have been fighting a tax lien for the year 2011, it took over a year to get the tax return corrected because I live in another state. I was issued a refund but my credit shows that I owe $681 to Indiana. I submitted a dispute and the state changed it to paid. I have contacted the state of Indiana and they say they cannot remove it as it took a year to correct the error on my taxes (just missing a dependents sheet).

Is it legal to say that I paid a tax lien that I did not owe? I have the email from Indiana that states that it was an error but they will not expunge it. Digging around the state regulations, it states they have adopted the year rule of filing taxes. Shouldn't I be covered under this three year rule since it has not been 3 years and it was straight after a year? They do not have the right address for me either.

If this is the case, I'd complain to the county's tax commissioner. I'd also send a letter to the credit bureaus showing proof of said allegations to be admittedly false. They would in return have to remove it from your credit report.