Question

sewscuba

Erroneous report
How do I correct the erroneous credit statement? Capitol One has done this, even though the card has been cancelled for over 6 years, not used until someone used it in Aug of this year for a $35.00 purchase that I knew nothing about. I discarded all mail from them because I aassumed they were attempting to give me another card. They have the account under investigation, but have decreased my credit score from 850 to 741 in one sweep, over $35.00 that I did not use. The ss# on the account is my husband's and he passed away in 2009. I don't know how to fix this.

Hi sewscuba, sorry to hear about this. You can dispute any incorrect information on your credit report through a dispute. Learn more about the process here: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/dispute-credit-report-errors