Eliminating Credit Cards
Good morning,

Is it possible to reduce the credit cards that I have without affecting my credit score negatively?

I've tried to negotiate down my interest rate & annual fee with Barclaycard & Capital One without any luck. I've established credit with them for a while but if they're not going to consider my business worthwhile then I want to dump them.

When I was younger, I was given advise to write to each creditor and ask them to "Close Account Per Customer Request" & they would close it without anything on your credit being affected. I learned otherwise.

My understanding is that a person can close a credit account but they get dinged for it as you've reduced your overall ratios. I've been told this is still the case.

This in my opinion isn't right. Is there an official way around this? Suggestions?