Question

Frustratedtothehilt

Does the mortgage affect my credit score really bad?
I no longer live in the house that my ex lives in. My name is still on the mortgage and don't know how to get it off. He has been giving me the runaround about getting my name off it for 4-5 years now. Is there something I can do to keep my score from going into the toilet over this? He is on disability and can't afford to refinance at this time.

Most Helpful Response

Visit website www.stepforwardmichigan.org; that is their Hardest Hit Fund.  Best of luck!

Thank you very much for your help! I greatly appreciate it! Have a great day!

Unfortunately, until he re-finances the mortgage into his name alone, you are stuck being a borrower on the loan and it will continue to wreck your credit.  I don't know what state you live in, but you need to Google your state name and "Hardest Hit Fund".  He could very well qualify for federal assistance with his mortgage.  I work for a mortgage company and two of our borrowers (one in IN and one in TN) reached out to them when they lost their jobs and the state will be getting them caught up on their mortgages.  From what I understand, it is not a loan, but a federal program to assist folks in his situation.  Hope that helps!

We live in Michigan

Mortgage wrecker

Unfortunately, he doesn't care about my credit! I don't know what to do. I need to get my name off the mortgage.  And here is another question. My name is on the house, should I get my name off that first or wait til my name is off the mortgage first?

Addison170

Not sure what you mean by "your name is on the house".  If you mean the Deed of Trust or other real estate documents, that will happen when your name gets off the mortgage.  The county tax folks use the recorded real estate docs for ownership as well.  Hope that answers your question.