Question

1dodgersfan

Does closing a credit card effect my credit score?
I am considering closing out my American Express card, but I do not know how this might effect my credit.

Re: closing an account

Depends. 

1. The ideal number of credit cards to have open is 4-5.  If you have fewer cards, you may want to leave it open.  

2. Is this one of your oldest cards?  Or is it one of your newest?  One of the factors in calculating score is the average age of open accounts.  So if you close your oldest account, the average age shortens and it could hurt your score.  Closing your newests card will increase your average age and may raise your score.

3.  Does the card have a balance?  If so, do NOT close it until it's paid off.  Having a balance on a closed card creates a negative utilization rate and hurts your score.