Question

JillsMyName

Does a Bankruptcy Impact Your Credit Rating Less as Time Goes On?
I filed bankruptcy nearly 9 years ago and I know it will be on my credit report for 10 years. Does the impact the bankruptcy has on my credit score diminish the older it is? I just bought a new car, so it's not an automatic rejection by all (though the interest rate was impacted by the bankruptcy, no doubt) but some credit card companies indicate that they have declined me strictly based on the bankruptcy reflected on my credit report.

Most Helpful Response

Time works for the better.

I filed a Chapter 13 in 1993 so you know my credit took a "HIT" until the notice of BK dropped off my credit report in 2003.  It has taken a bit of time and things aren't perfect but, I did get to consolidate my credit cards this year and the new card has a substantially higher credit limit and a lower interest ra te than any before.  I did keep the older cards so  I show a much higher available credit than before and that helps the credit score.  Last car I bought in 2005, I used proceeds from sale of my last house and paid cash (1 year old used car) and they tried financing but that was not going to happen, which I already knew. 

If you continue to get declined for credit cards, or if you just want to avoid the hassle and hard inquiries, go for a secured card.  You deposit a few hundred dollars in the issuer's bank and that is your credit limit for the card. While the interest is high since secured cards are usually obtained by new holders or those who did go bankrupt, it shouldn't make a difference to you if you use the card carefully and pay the bill in full every month.  And after several months to a year, the card may be converted to a "regular" credit card with a higher credit limit.

Hope this helps.