Question

Sheray1976

Do I have to give things to make a fresh start?
I am a 38 yr old mother of 4. I have been debt for about 18 yrs. I recently purchased a car (2-15-2014) which I have payments. I am currently in school which I have student loans. I have a secured credit card with a very low limit($200.00). I am strongly considering filing ch 7 and wondering if I do, do I have to give up these things to start over. I really need a fresh start.

Chapter 7 you don't get to keep your car, If I remember correctly. Chaprter 13 allows you to keep everything but you have to pay it back at a cheaper rate, which usually takes 3 to 5 years to finish. Bk's stay on your report for 10 years. Chapter 7 are huge red flags to lenders and they will not want to do business with you. After about 2 years into a Chapter 13 Bk your lawyer will allow you to finance a house or car, you'd have to get a letter to incur debt though. Good Luck my friend...