Question

Annie154

DIVORCE AFFECTING CREDIT
In my divorce settlement, I had to make payments on three cards and he had to make payments on the other three. All of the accounts were closed and I have paid off my three, but he is still making payments on his and they show as credit card debt on my credit reports. Since the accounts are closed, can I get my name removed from the ones that he is responsible for?

Most Helpful Response

good answer but....

not what I wanted to hear! I have established my own credit but those darn joint debts are still hurting my score! Thanks though.

The accounts were in both names?

If the accounts had both names on them, they are part of your credit history and will not disappear until about 7 years from the date of divorce.  Closing those accounts reduced your amount of available credit, which is also hurting your credit score.  You will have to begin establishing credit in your name now and continue building it to improve your credit score.