Question

richeykw

debt companies dont have origional documents? is this legal?
I am trying to work with two companies that say I owe them.

I don't recognize the debt and have asked for some sort of agreement or something with my signature on it. Neither can produce anything.

Is this legal? what are my options?

I'm not saying my identity was stolen. Im simply asking for something with my signature on it. They keep insisting that if I don't recognize the debt, I should file a police report for stolen identity. I just want an agreement with my signature.

Most Helpful Response

Did you ask for "validation of debt" in writing?  Never try negotiating legal issues over the phone because you always have the "he said, they said" bit with nothing tangible on either side.

First off, get copies of your credit reports so you can see the status of these 'debts" for yourself.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  This is something you want to do once a year, every year anyway.  Read the reports over very carefully and file disputes on all wrong entries (accounts not yours, wrong information, etc) with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.

If these debts you've asked about are on your credit reports and they are yours, then do the request for written validation of the debt as required under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) which is a federal law.  Tell them they have 20 days from the date they receive the letter to get it to your or they must cease all attempts at collection. 

I've actually had a collection agency back off after being sent such a letter.  Hope it works for you.