Question

ledude

Debt collector still reporting debt they don't own. How do I get removed?
I noticed there is an old debt from several years ago on my report and called the debt collector for confirmation. It turns out they no longer own the debt! How can I get it removed from my credit report? The rep said I should just send a "Letter of concern" stating the the account is still showing up on my report to their compliance department, but frankly I don't trust a word from any debt collector. Any advice?

It's going to show for up to 7 years because they had that account and they reported it to one of the credit bureaus.  Check all three credit reports for yourself once a year.  Read the articles on the left side of this page so you can learn how to build and maintain a good credit score.  That is what Credit Karma was designed for.