Question

jmstimson

Creditor will not remove a collection account, i have paid almost a year ago and have proof.
January this year a collection account showed up on my report. I had no knowledge of this, but was monitoring my report and called the very next day and paid the balance in full. I have record of this with my banking statements. 11 months later the company still shows this balance as unpaid and when I call them they say there is nothing they can do as they are a 'non-removal agency'? What avenue do I take to have this removed from my credit report and have the last 11 months updated as being current?

Do your homework..... Negative items can remain on your credit file for a maximum of "7" years. It doesn't matter if you got proof that you paid in full. That's the law. Next time negotiate to have negative items removed when you pay in full and get that agreement in writting. They don't have to agree to have it removed but they do have to update your payments.

jmstimson

yeah...what he said.

The only thing I would add is this:   save a hard copy of that proof that you mentioned you have, until this thing drops off your report.

Rich

jmstimson

Just re-read your post and noticed you said it still shows as unpaid.  If you have proof you paid it and it is on your credit report as unpaid, and the collection company you paid is saying they cant help with reporting it, then you need to challenge it with any and all of the three credit bureaus that are showing it as unpaid.

Another note: the proof you say you have better be real proof.  Not just a bank statement showing a withdrawal.  If you really have the proof the account has been paid in full and it is showing as unpaid, you can get it fixed.  It will remain as a negative on your report for up to 7 years is my understanding, but it will also show as paid.  This will help when you try to get a loan.  You will just have to tell your story but it shows you ultimately paid your debt which has value to a lender.

Good Luck

Rich