Question

Astbr

Credit limit increase
I'd like to request a credit increase on a newly opened Amex card. My starting limit on that card is 2500 & I'd like to ask for 10k. I currently have 3 other cards, but this is my first with Amex. The highest limit I currently have is 7k on a Citi Mastercard.

Will this hurt my credit in any way? Hard inquiry?
Can I ask for such an amount immediately after the card was opened?

Thanks.

Most Helpful Response

Short Answer: Maybe

How long have you had your credit card with American Express? A good rule of thumb is to wait 6 months in between credit limit increases, but there are definitely exceptions between companies. Personally I was able to increase my credit limit with American Express earlier than 5 months, but didn't try any sooner. Currently, you can do so when you sign into your account by clicking Account Services, Credit Management, and then Increase Line of Credit. You'll be eligible for a credit limit increase if your account is in good standing, you have a high income, and other factors.

This request will not trigger a hard inquiry, but if you want them to pursue it further then you could have them do a hard inquiry. The more inquiries you have the lower your credit score will be, though, so if you have some already or are looking to open new lines of credit in the next two years, you are likely better off avoiding a hard inquiry. The good news, however, is that increased credit limit will typically increase your credit score because it will bring your utilization percentage down, if your spending remains the same.

Astbr

I havnen't received the card yet. Should I wait 6 months or request immediately? Is 10,000 to musch to ask for?

Thanks