Question

jeffraysnider

Credit Card Utilization
I have two cards. Visa with $6000 limit (never carry a balance) MasterCard $3600 limit used on a 0% 24 month Lasik Surgery right now the utilization is 24% but when I use my Visa i can go as high as 90% during the billing cycle, but I pay it to zero at month end. My score dropped 9 points for the reason of utilization over 35% then recovers a couple points a month until it recovers, but then it drops again when I make mid cycle large purchases. Again I never carry a balance on the Visa but it impacts the Factors. I was considering just paying the 0% card off to reduce the frequency of utilization over 35% but it seems the program does not see my month end zero balance on the Visa?

Most Helpful Response

So for best results you do want to show some use.... but somewhere between 1-9%  The best way to do this is to pay BEFORE the statement date which is about 3-5 days after due date.  so lets say you on you mastercard you have $3000 on it and it is due on the 25th and your statement date is the 28th.  You want to pay it down to between $30 and $270 before the 25th.  This is what is going to be reported and counted towards your utl.  The good news is utl has no memory so it can go up and down without any problems.