Question

Coatrackblues

credit card use
I have some cards that I do not use - would rather have less but afraid to cancel. is it better to cancel or keep accounts open, even though I pay off most each month.

Each card has a credit limit and the higher your total credit limits available, the better for your credit score.  Just keep the cards in a secure place and use them occasionally to keep them active, or just leave them in that secure area.  Eventually, the card may be closed due to lack of use, but don't you close them. That would hurt your score.

I completely agree with what jwsister said.