Question

u049588

Credit card debt
My credit card score is just a "C"? I have no credit debt! I have $10,000 limit on my Gold AMEX but pay the debt off each month. My MC has a $6000 limit with NO debt! I'm confused by the C rating, it should be an "A"?

Most Helpful Response

You would think that having a $0 balance would make it an "A" but lenders actually like to see some sort of balance on the accounts to believe that they are actively in use. Credit Karma lists 1%-20% credit card usage as an "A", though I believe the best credit score is achieved if your credit card utilization is just under 10%.

jwsister

You don't have to carry over a balance, which would end up costing you interest.  Just make sure you pay ONLY the "total amount due" when the statement comes in.  You may have purchased $500 during a month but only $300 show up as the total due, so you pay just that.  The remaining $200 plus some other purchases you make will show up on the next bill.  That's the way to show a good payment and usage record.  For some crazy reason, credit card companies aren't too pleased if you'd paid the total $500 instead of what the statement says.  Humor them, and play the game your way so that you don't end up paying interest but you do improve your credit score.