Question

Miginda617

Co-applicants and authorized users-- HELP!
Hey there,

So my credit is sub-par at the moment and right now its at a Credit Karma score of 542. My girlfriend has offered to help with my situation and either add me as an authorized user or go ahead and do a co-applicant process. My question is, What will be more beneficial to my credit situation, applying as a co-applicant or being added as an authorized user.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

It helps

Either way, it will help your score to have an account that has the balance paid off in full every month.  Be careful, if the utilization is too high on the account that she adds you to, it may not pay off as much as you think. 

Something great about being added as an authorized user, though, is that they don't check your credit.  That is an easy boost and quick todo.