Question

Borninnyc

Closed new c.c. account
Hi everyone...I opened a new capital one card and got a $10k limit. I then realized that I already have some balances on other cards. I really did not want to dig deeper in debt so I ended up closing the account that same day. Yes I know I should have kept it opened but it was for my own good. Is this going to hurt my credit score negatively since I opened and closed it already? All my credit cards are being paid, 2 car leases and student loans are being paid. I have no late payments whatsoever.

You will take a hit on your score.

your report will show a hard inquiry as well as the opened account. It may also show the account as closed.  The fact that you closed it won't have a big impact on your score overall but it will for a couple of months.  

You say that you closed it for your own good.  That may be the most honest answer i've seen here.  But the fact remains that you want to build up your available credit, Some say you should have an amount of available credit equal to a years income. You will need it if you ever want to see your scores in the upper levels.   having more credit doesn't you will have more debt. Fact is you never want to charge more than 30% of the credit limit to any card to keep your credit scores high.

I veiw all my cards as having a limit of 1/10th of the actual limit.  I write it on the card with a sharpy so i never forget. Thats the most i will charge on any of my cards except in an emergency or a planned large purchase.

keep making your payments.  Learn to ristricted your use of the cards so that you  don't over spend and you should be ok. 

Borninnyc

I've been good with my cards...right now my credit debt is $3600/$10,000 across 3 cards. I owe most to Chase Freedom since I used it for a down payment for my new car lease so that's why it went up so much. Usually i only used like 10% or my available credit so i had around $9,000 available across the 3 cards. My score went from 755 to 728 because of my debt going up but I'm sending big payments to Chase so by next month or so I should be good. Thank you:)