Question

Wantabetterscore

Close old credit card accounts?
I have a fee credit cards that I don't use...ever. For example I have an American Eagle card that was opened and used for the sole purpose of that days purchases. How or will it affect my scores if I close this account? There are no fees or cost for it being opened. Should I just leave it alone and leave it opened since i have no charges to it?
Thank you for your advice.

Most Helpful Response

Closing old accounts in good standing will likely have a negative impact on your score. The main reasons for this are that you're shortening your open credit length, and also making it easier to have a higher debt ratio (by lowering your total credit limit). If you can live with having the card, best thing you can do for yourself is charge something once or twice a year to keep it active, keep it somewhere save, and do not close it if possible.