Question

blsalter1

ChexSystem and Auto Loans
I am a college grad wanting to buy my first car. My mom had complete control over one of my bank accounts. I didn't use it for myself at all. She over drafted that account about $300 to pay for medical attention she needed. Well unfortunately, she decided not to cover it and it got reported to chexsystem. I don't want her to get in trouble so I am giving her a chance to pay the debt but I know that they may still not take me off. Is there any chance of me getting an auto loan anyway? My credit is in the mid 600s, I bring home $2000+ a month, I have no late payments, or any other negative things on my report.

Most Helpful Response

Yes, you can get a car loan

Hi Yes, you can still get an auto loan if you have a chexsystem bad mark. Chexsystem is mostly used whne you try to open up new bank accounts, so assuming you have a bank account or you don't need one before you get your car loan, you can still get a car loan. 

Please be aware that a score in the mid 600s will  not get you the best inteerst rates though. But, this isn't your question. You can still get a car loan if you have a bad chexsystems mark. The loan creditor will check one or more of the credit reporting agencies (experian, equifax or transunion), chexsystmes is usually not part of the loan process.  

mgo

how do i find out if i am on chex systems so i can open a checking account?

goodberry

Enter Your Replyi know its not part of car loans but i was hoping someone would know how to find out before i go and get shot down.

not exactly, correct.

Not entirely correct. Say, that person, wants a bank loan, but the bank needs you to get an savings account with them. Guess what. Can't get it, because Chex system!