Question

AlanVende

Checking your credit score on Credit Karma
I was told that checking your credit score hurts your credit score. I just signed up for Credit Karma today as I have had my first credit card for about two months and have seen the commercials that say you should know your credit score.

But, I have many questions... How often should you check it? Once a month? Once a week? Once every quarter? I don't want to hurt my score by checking it.

But, on the other side of the token, how does checking your credit score hurt your credit score? Shouldn't you always know what it is?

Checking your score on CK

Does not hurt your score.  Nor does it hurt your score when you check it through your credit card company site or simular.  Hard inquiries hurt your score. Those are inquiries that have been done through a credit lender or bank.  Some third party websites will also do a hard inquiry that they charge you for, Those will show up as well.  

CK and other credit monitoring sites and some credit card companies have agreements with the Credit Bureaus that allow access to your info with out charge. Thanks to the changes in the Credit regulations after the crash in '08, access is much easier now.  

Only check your scores though sites that offer it as part of their service and you should not have any negitive effects.   

You can also get free copies of each of your complete credit reports once a year. I have found that they have exactly the same info that i see on CK. The only site where they are free is AnnualCreditReport .com  Other sites will charge you for them.