Question

LostInPA

Charge offs preventing me from getting an apartment! Anything I can do?
I consolidated all my debt about a year ago with Freedom Debt Relief. I have only one account yet to be settled, and that should happen VERY soon. I MUST find an apartment in the next 2 months, but when I applied, I was denied because the accounts, even though marked "closed by consumer", are also listed as charge offs. I was denied on those grounds. My credit score is still terrible (no doubt because of the charge offs). My mother, who I've been living with and supporting since my dad died (and is a large part of the debt I had), is moving to a retirement community and needs to sell her house. Unfortunately, that means that I need to find a place to live. I MUST have these charge offs removed, or I won't be able to get an apartment. I'm doing everything right, settling the debt, paying things off, but yet I'm faced with being out in the street. What can be done?

If you can find any inaccuracies listed on the charged off accounts, you could dispute them for inaccuracy and if you were real lucky, the entire account could be removed. If you cannot find any inaccurate info to dispute, then you could try sending goodwill letters to the creditors of the charged off accounts begging their forgiveness and begging them to remove the charge offs from your reports. They will fall off at 7 years, so time will take them off as well, you can sometimes get them excluded from your report a few months before the 7 year mark.

You can also spend some time finding a landlord in your area that will rent without a credit check, there certainly has to be one somewhere in your area. If you can't get the charge offs removed, don't give up hope, someone out there will be willing to rent to you, it just may take some leg work to find them. Good luck in your quest.