Question

LindsMcD

Capital one/ General Credit Card Question
I have two credit cards through Capital One. A Quicksilver (CL 4000) and a Venture One (CL 4000). I feel as though the benefits/rewards are better on the Quicksilver as the Venture miles program is kind of a joke. I have the option to combine them into one account. I also have a Chase credit card that has amazon rewards (CL 1500) that I pay off every month.
My Quicksilver is my longest standing open account on my credit report (It was a platinum and I did a product upgrade), so I definitely don't want lose that. My current credit/debt ratio is about 3%.
So my question is, what is the best way to rebuild my credit score? Would combining my capital one cards and only having 2 open credit cards hurt or help me? My current score is 606, as I had a hiccup about 4 years ago with a job loss. Any advice would be super helpful! Should I continue paying my cards in full every month, or should I carry a small balance?

Going from 3 open credit cards to 2 will HURT your credit profile/scores. I would not advise doing so if you are concerned about your credit. Maybe first, find another card to open, then once it is opened do your combination with Capital One.

Bump

Anyone? Crickets...

Never Close a Credit Card unless you have a Yearly fee on it  ( then you need to think really hard as to the impact of closing the card )

ALWAYS Pay your Credit Cards IN FULL Every month. ( NO IF ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT ) Never Ever Leave a Balance.

There is no reason to be so hard and fast about this! If someone is trying to improve their credit scores, it can be a GOOD THING to carry small balances on cards and pay them over time. Let's say that someone charges $200 on a card, and isn't going to charge anything else for the next few months. If they pay that off with the first bill, that's good...but that will only show ONE on-time payment. If, on the other hand, they pay $50/month for four months, or $33/month for six months, that's FOUR or SIX on-time payments, which go a long way to increasing their overall scores. I definitely recommend spreading payments out over time if a person needs to establish a good, steady payment history.

Response to LinuxUser

Most credit card companies will update an account monthly as "paid as agreed" whether the account was used that month or not. In addition, using an account and paying it completely off before the due date is STILL a monthly payment. Your way of thinking on this only benefits the card companies as the borrow would end up paying interest. No offense, but your philosophy is incorrect on this.