Question

ShawnCredit123

Can you re-age a debt, by accepting a pre-approval from the same company?
I have a question, which may apply to many, many people in the same situation. I have an OLD credit card debt. Old enough that on my credit report, they list the date when it may be removed from my credit profile (7 yrs. after last contact), which will be later this year. None the less, being near 7 yrs. old, it is certainly beyond FLORIDA's 4 year statute of limitations to "legally" sue/collect on old CC debt. However, if this old credit card debt is with "Company X", and now (that I have improved my credit score/ratings) this same "Company X" is mailing me PRE-APPROVED offers. Would I be re-aging, or re-initializing the SOL or 7 yr. clock by applying or accepting these offers with this same company? Could they re-incorporate, or include the old debt into the new card/credit line, and once I make the first payment, I am re-aging the old debt? PLEASE help, signed, Cautious in Florida.

No, the account will not re-age.  If you do get a card form Company X, it will be a new account.  The old account is totally separate and they can't add the old debt to the new account.    Now, if you had asked that the old delinquent account be re-activated, then it would be re-aged and the old debt would still be there.  However, this would be a new account so you should be  OK.

ShawnCredit123

How can I get an "official" confirmation of that?

I'm a couple of months away from crossing the line for the 7 yr. mark (to come off my credit report), and I've already passed the SOL for Florida, for being able to be sued.

So, at this point, I can't afford an "oops", and be tricked into getting an almost vanished debt into being re-aged, because of some technicality.