Question

Twinz2002

can you dispute a charged off debt?

You can only dispute WRONG information.  If it was your debt that was charged-off, there can't be a dispute.

recent rpt'd charge off

I too have to ask this question. I just discovered a past creditor reported a charge off just NOW for a CC bal from 2011. I went through a bad financial period back when the housing bubble collapsed (unemployment, etc.) but I thought this was taken care of.  I have not been credit active since then...almost 7 yrs.  I am going to contact the creditor on Monday, but is this LEGAL to report a charge off almost 7 yrs later? It seems they are doing it to add another 7 yrs to the credit report history.  To my embarassment, I haven't checked on my credit during all this time, but I see now where that trade line was formerly reported as closed and paid.

For Twinz question: you can dispute anything that you want, but whether you are successful or not is another story and sometimes disputing can bring scores down when the outcome isn't in your favor. All in all, I would not dispute the account unless you had reason to. I suggest some thorough reading so you can get a better understanding as to how this all works.

For bluesky question: A lender can report a Charge Off for seven years from the DOFD (date of first delinquency) so the fact that you see it now and it has not been seven years, it is legal. I do not advise contacting the lender, you could say something that you shouldn't. The seven year reporting time cannot be changed by anything, it is set by the DOFD (this is typically one month after you made the last payment on the account before it became delinquent). Try to figure out the DOFD on this account, if in doubt you can contact the credit bureaus to ask when it is scheduled to be removed. Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites. Also do some reading on "early exclusion" if you find that you are close to the seven year mark.