Question

yaverito

can I still owe on a charge off no longer on my credit report?
I received a call saying tha tI was going to be served with a civil lawsuit due to a debt that is no longer in my credit report? can this happen?

Most Helpful Response

Look up the STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS in your state to be sued for that type of debt. Most states SOLs are only three or four years, but some states have longer SOLs. I would bet that the company that contacted you has violated the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) so I would advise that you read up on the FDCPA (google it) and then contact an FDCPA attorney.

Let me add, even if the debt is outside of the SOL, you would still need to go to court, if you didn't go to court you would automatically lose, if you did go and used the SOL as your defense you would automatically win provided the debt is outside of the SOL. Odds are the phone call that you received was a scare tactic used by a debt collector, keep all records of communication as it will be needed if you sue them.