Question

stm1

Can I report my rent?
CK says that I don't have a credit history, which makes sense considering that I don't have credit cards or a car payment. I have paid rent on time for the past 8 years, though, but a new rental property is refusing to approve me based on the lack of history. My current apt. manager said he would write a letter of recommendation, but doesn't know how to report my payment history. Any suggestions?

Most Helpful Response

Thanks

I found someone willing to work with me.  I'm building my credit by other means, but I was hoping that the past 92 months of rent payments would mean something to credit agencies... :-/

Same happened to me

On time rent payments are never reported to the credit bureaus, but if you miss any of them, then you will have negative records on your report.

Recommendation letters work ok sometimes, but if the new landlord specifically requests your credit history, then you better negotiate with him.

The way I solved my issue was to get a co-signer for the new lease (there was another option: paying two months in advance as a deposit, plus the deposit fee and get all reimbursed when I move out). The co-signer got a hard inquiry on her credit report, by the way.

Check some of the comments on this site in order to create and improve your credit history. One of the first things you'll need to do is to get a credit card, and I'm sure your only option will be a secured one.

Good luck.