Question

Posted in Retirement

Jcano8468

Can i cash out certificates not in my name?
A complete stranger was telling me how he was going to cash out his father's his dead father's stock certificates unfortunately list Ranger left them in my car after trying to contact them for several years and unable to I don't know if I should try to cash it out myself I heard that it's possible and I also heard it's not possible does anybody have any idea I did a little bit of research and it turns out their father is dead the sun is unknown and it's a quite a good amount of money can I get in trouble for trying or should I just turn it in

If you are not a relative of the individual listed on the stock certificates, you can get in big trouble trying to cash them.  Turn them over to the police,  It's possible this stranger stole them.    

You would be in a heap of trouble if you tried to do this, prison for a long time for sure. As noted, you need to turn these into some form of authority. I don't think the police would be the proper authority, but you might contact your local courthouse and ask them what they advise.