Question

Trappedinthesystem

Can disputing paid collection item reactivate it?
My credit report showed an item that was in collection a few years ago due to the billing being sent to an incorrect address. When I found out about it by seeing it on my credit report I paid it off. However the record still shows "collection - open" Recently I filed a dispute against the item because I don't feel I should be punished for their records error and also because the items still showed "open". Now, Credit Karma is showing the collection item as "active"! This is bound to hurt my credit and I'd caution anyone with a similar circumstance to consider not disputing items on their credit report as it appears to refresh them.

When a dispute is done, then an update to the account will happen if the account is not removed. If the negative account has not updated in a long time, when it updates it will look like a fresh collection to the scoring system and will reduce scores. However, if the collection was in open status when it was in fact paid, then you had every right to dispute it. Did they close it? I am not sure why Credit Karma would be now showing it as an active collection.