Question

Hardewukker

Being charged for a closed Sprint account. How to stop them.
Sprint account closed two or more years ago. Received an invoice for a call TO me FROM someone I don't even know in Brooklyn, New York. Location for Sprint is Jacksonville Florida. All invoices for Sprint should come from Illinois or Kansas. Threat from Sprint to possibly refer to a collection agency. I have info on last payment in 2013 with "George" as the rep. Also a copy of the letter sent to Sprint reflecting said last payment. Account number doesn't match as this current bill reflects my landline number where my real Sprint invoices from the past reflected a nine digit account number that is not my phone number. Don't want this company to ruin my credit report. I do not intend to pay this bill ($6.09). Sprint actually deactivated my account due to non-use in 2013. Paid a $9.00 and change balance and received the cancelled check from a bank I no longer do business with. How can I report Sprint or whomever these people are as I'm afraid that this bill will grow and grow and end up in collections, get reported and will mess up my credit rating. Lastly, found articles on Internet of people experiencing the same dilemma. How can I fight this? Going to the credit bureaus to warn them. Will that work?

First I would have someone that you trust look over this bill to see if you are missing something. It almost sounds to me like some type of scam, but I am not sure on that. If you have proof that you paid the last bill, then you really have nothing to worry about. If they do put it on your credit reports, then you can fight it and you have proof for your case. You could also file a report with the BBB or attorney general in your state. You may also want to consult with an attorney that deals with FDCPA cases. (fair debt collection practices act)